Synchronicity...

2008-01-26





Websters defines Synchronicity as: "the coincidental occurrence of events and especially psychic events (as similar thoughts in widely separated persons or a mental image of an unexpected event before it happens) that seem related but are not explained by conventional mechanisms of causality —used especially in the psychology of C. G. Jung"

Wiki says: "Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events which occur in a meaningful manner, but which are causally un-related. In order to be synchronous, the events must be related to one another conceptually, and the chance that they would occur together by random chance must be very small."

Today in therapy we talked a lot about Las Vegas. I don't know what started it but it lasted most of the morning.

So when I got home today I started to work on some images for next weeks blog posts. Since we had been talking about Las Vegas all morning I though why not do a few days of images shot there.

So I opened up a few and began working on them. The two posted here were the ones I was working on. While about halfway through with the first image I received a message on my phone, turn on the news. It was from a friend and coworker of mine.

I turned on the TV and could not believe my eyes. The Monte Carlo Hotel was on fire. I know you might say no big deal but it really weirded me out a bit.

The image I was working on was from the main entrance of...you guessed it...the Monte Carlo Hotel.

So I watched the coverage for some time and completed the first and then second images from the Monte Carlo.

So this synchronicity stuck with me to the point were I decided I had to tell Craig what had happened. So I called him up and explained the story. He thought it was interesting and then took it one step further....

Prior to my call he had been on the phone with someone in Las Vegas.

Quite honestly I had my doubts when Craig first explained synchronicity to me. But time and time again there are strange unexplainable parallels or situations that have occurred that are linked in so many strange ways.

Sorry to have gone on and on about this but I just found it a bit to interesting to pass up telling everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still not sure.

Ted said...

As a fallen away academic, it's been a lot of years since I taught statistics and quant methods. But I recall discussing the noise which coincidence brings to correlation analysis. Which is why we impose truly random samples of significant size upon relationships in order to screen out what you've wonderfully called synchronicity.

Coincidence happens and not so oddly, mostly seem to happen in pairs. What really gets weird is when they happen in threes, fours, and mores.... Should you start sensing those sorts of occurrences, then.... then you've gotcher self something to screech from the rooftops.

Regardless... this statue series is spot on magnificent. And since I don't know where to begin praising it... I won't.

Ted