#569 A Fall Gem Discovered

2009-11-09

Hi everyone-

Here is South Central PA we have been enjoying the taste of a little early fall the last few days. Beautiful blue skies and temperatures in the mid to upper 70's. Very nice for the first week of November.

These conditions are just some more reasons why this is hands down my favorite time of year. Crisp cool mornings followed by pleasant warmer days followed by clear cool evenings. You can smell the smoke from wood stoves in the air and you can wear jeans and a sweatshirt all day and be just fine. Love it.

Another great part of this time of year is the fantastic color that blankets the forests and wooded areas around us. While not like Northern PA we still have a lot to see here.

That being said today's images were taken just a short drive over the Maryland border to a little gem of a park that I have not enough attention too in the past. It is called Catoctin Mountain Park. It is a small National Park and is the home to Camp David.

Obviously I have heard of the camp for years but never really new where it was. We figured it out a few years ago when traveling back and forth to see my sister while she was living in Frostburg, MD. This was not the fastest route to get there from our house but was clearly the most scenic.

Recently I spent some time in Great Smoky Mountains National Park and was a little early for the peak of fall color. But while traveling home I decided to take the route across the park and go home that way. Man was I happy I did.

I didn't have much time as I was trying to make it home in time to join my wife and daughter at a local Halloween parade. But I could not pass up the spectacular display of color and beauty in the park. I spent about 45 minutes photographing everything that I could before having to leave to make it home in time.

I can not wait to go back next year and explore more of this park on foot and without the constraints of time. One thing of note... You should always check the website before going as there are periodic closures of large areas of this small park due to increased security when dignitaries occupy Camp David.

Have a great day!

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

Doug Haass said...

Great job here Brian. The colors are fantastic. I love the composition on these two shots.

Woody said...

Good Shot Brian. If you ever get the chance again, The OTT House right on the Square in Emmitsburg has great food. It is located next to the firehouse. The firehouse also has a cool museum inside.

Barry Armer said...

Beautiful shots Brian!

We only have one place anywhere near Houston with fall colors even remotely as brilliant as these (Lost Maples State Park) and I'm hoping to get up there this weekend to do some shooting. If I can get a couple of shots as nice as these I'll be very happy.

Well done!
Barry