#571 Will The Real HDR Please Stand Up...

2009-11-11

Hi everyone-

Today's images were shot in Great Smoky Mountains National Park a few weeks ago. One of them is an HDR image and the result of combining six different exposures. The other is a single exposure with a good deal of photoshop work to it.

Can you tell the difference? Let me know which one is which.

That being said both of these images had a ton of photoshop work done to them after they were brought to the same spot. Meaning once I did the HDR and got the two images looking roughly the same exposure wise there was a ton of additional work done. That included, local contrast increases, selective color adjustments, adding a glow, curves adjustments, color saturation adjustments and a few others steps that I know I did can cant seem to remember what they were...

Anyway I hope you have a great day!

Photobucket

Photobucket

****UPDATE****

Hi everyone-

So in the comments Nick, Barry and Jan responded to my question and one of them is correct. That would be Barry. He surmised the second image was the true HDR image and he was right.

This image was shot at 6 different exposures and combines in Photomatix and then further processed in photoshop to create the final look. Here are the 6 images used to create the HDR:

alt="Photobucket">

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The next image is the sooc image that i worked on in photoshop to give it a n HDR look.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Nick said...

50-50 chance. I'll go with the top as the HDR. Guessing the water would look different s a result of 6 images in photomatix.

Barry Armer said...

Two beautiful images Brian!

I'm going to guess that the second one is HDR. The second shot has a slight softness in the details that that I sometimes get with my own HDR processing. I also perceive a little more shadow detail in the bottom shot as well. I won't be surprised if I'm wrong though because you did a great job on processing both images and to your credit neither one has a classic "straight out of Photomatix" look to it.

Well done!
Barry

Jan Klier said...

I'm going with the top one as the HDR, because it has a lot of areas of details which would be very time consuming to do individually. The bottom image had a long exposure (see water), and fewer areas that had to be darkened down.

Barry Armer said...

Like Nick said I had a 50-50 chance! :-)

Thanks for showing us the original captures. It makes it even more amazing to see how much you improved upon the raw pixels with your post-processing work!

Cheers!
Barry