Battle On The Madison...

2007-11-30



Hi all-

Several years ago I was lucky enough to witness what many called the battle of a lifetime. It was September 23, 2005 around 3 in the afternoon. The setting was the beautiful Madison River in Yellowstone National Park.

For about 20 minutes I was witness to one of the fiercest elk rut battles ever to be caught on film.

To witness such an event was first off an unbelievable gift from whomever was guiding me down my path that day. To walk away with an amazing set of images was the icing on the cake.

I'd like to say hi, welcome and thank you to Vern from Montana. I hope you enjoy the site. After our talk this evening I decided to revisit many of the images that I have never published from this fantastic battle.

Over the next few days I will be posting new images from that day and adding information about what was going on and a few other little elk tid bits.

I hope you enjoy...

5 comments:

Chuck said...

That is an aweaome sight.

I would love to have been there to hear the sounds that these two beasts were making during their fight.

Anonymous said...

Awesome sight. All I ever see is a couple of outsider bulls apathetically locking horns briefly.:)
Looking forward to more.

Bill_Kaiser

Anonymous said...

Great moment. Right place at the right time.

Debra Trean said...

Outstanding collection these are superb and I can tell from the words typed that you were in your element as you watched on. Question - do you feel when viewing it from the camera it is different than if you were just watching??? lol

Brian Bastinelli said...

Thanks everyone. I am so glad you like these images. This is one of my favorite shoots.

pnf,

You know there was a time that I viewed most of the areas I visited via the camera's view finder.

I would get upset with myself when I didn't get the shot Iw as looking for, etc...

Finally, after a workshop with Craig Tanner in GTNP and a lot of input from the Radiant Vista I got over that.

Now I realize that even if I don't get the shot I am better for having been there and experiencing the moment.

I have noticed that my work has imporved greatly since that revolation.

But when you shoot you still have some of your mind committed to the technical side of the shoot.

That has to take resources away from the sheer enjoyment of it.

I try to take some time before and after shooting to enjoy the subject without the camera and just relax and become part of the moment.