Heyward, A Bright Spot In My Day...

2008-06-05


Hey Everyone-

Sometimes you have a day where you are faced with negativity, incompetence, ignorance and a myriad of other feelings, emotions and situations that bring you down.

No matter where you go or what you do you are faced with it. Yesterday was one of those days.

I am not an inherently negative person, or at least I really try not to be. But sometimes you are faced with people around you that are negative about just about everything that comes down the pike.

It can really bring you down. No matter how hard you try to ignore it, no matter how hard you try to keep your outlook positive, the negativity brings you down.

I often wonder how someone can waist so much energy on being negative and constantly looking out for the bad. It has to be both physically and mentally draining. I know it is to be on the listening side...

Anyway for a long time I had trouble coming up with ways to remove myself from this reality and try to refocus and re frame my mindset. Travel, hiking and photography would often do it for me.

But I lacked a day to day, right in the moment way of doing the same. Then last month I met Issac Heyward. I have told his story in previous posts so I won't do it again today. It's his outlook on life and my memory of the conversations I've had with him that now help me to move beyond and put out of my mind the negative influences that others often throw at me.

He has no storms in his life. Sure these things come along but Heyward doesn't let them affect him. He lets the rain that falls just roll off his back.

So when the rain begins to fall, I think of Heyward and our conversations. I think of how his thoughts and presence effected me and I try to let the rain roll off.

It doesn't always work but we're getting there, slowly but surely we're getting there...

2 comments:

Toni James said...

Thanks for reminding me about Heyward, and allowing me to refocus.
Toni

Ted said...

Lucis is a powerful tool Brian and easy to overuse, even abuse. You have learned to control the beast and nowhere have you shown that muscle better than here. It is most useful as a sort of brush that you can sweep into those character corners that need to be teased into greater prominence.

This is wunnerful work Brian... thanks for the lesson.