Bittersweet Memories...

2008-07-25


Hi everyone-

I created this image last night through a combination of images and textures that I have shot, and public domain images from the late 1800's.

The main image is of Shadow Walks Tailfeathers. I then added images of the way Indian life once was, tipi's, horses, and buffalo as far as the eye could see.

Then I added images that evoke a more painful memory of these times. Ghost dancers from Pine Ridge, Chief Big Foot's frozen body from Wounded Knee as well as text from a treaty, like those that were so often broken.

I set out to create a though provoking image that looks at the history of America's Indians. One that shows what the thoughts of one reflecting on their past might be. One that examines how the culture and Spirit of a great people was decimated and broken.

I'd love to hear what you think of the image both from a technical and interpretive standpoint.

As always, have a great day.

3 comments:

Barry Armer said...

Hello Brian!

I like the image you have created a lot! I think I would like it even more if the profile of the subject was completely opaque. As it is my mind's eye wants to make the background objects a part of the subjects face like scars or age spots and it distracts me (I spend time trying to sort out foreground from background that I should be spending elsewhere). Not a big deal, just a thought I wanted to share. Keep up the great work!
Barry

Marti said...

Hi Brian,

It looks like you are having a great trip.

I love this image for so many things, including all the ones you mentioned. I would like to see a bit more of the subject's eye, though.

The image you posted of this beautiful man on July 24 has to be one of my favorites of your images -- amazing capture of a spirit.!!

Steve said...

I have to be honest that I did not notice the soft eye when looking at this for the first time but several others have made note of it. Now I go right to it. It does not in any way detract from the power of the image. Great work.