#565 Dora At The HP Video Studios

2009-11-03

Hi everyone-

I'd like to start off today's post by saying happy anniversary to my wife Tonya. We have been married for 8 years today. Tonya has truly been my best friend since the day we met. It's because of her and her unbelievable support of everything I take on that I am able to spend so much time creating the images that I post here daily. Thank you so much for your support and love, you mean the world to me! Happy Anniversary!! I love you!

Today's post is a selection of image of Dora who we shot at the HP Video Production studios in Knoxville. Jim Johnson and his crew there were great. We spent a full day shooting at his state of the art facility.

The first set of images is the result of what was probably my most complicated lighting set up of the entire week. We placed Dora in a director's chair and used a total of 5 lights to create ambient light as well as to light Dora. I'll post an image after the series of what the ambient conditions were.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

So in the next image you can see kinda of what the area we were shooting in looked like in normal lighting. The area was pretty crowded with equipment. I wanted to have that as a central part of the image but not to dominate it in a busy way so that it took over. I wanted to create a nice environmental portrait of a TV or movie star on the set.

We light Dora with a beauty dish with a sock on it. It was camera right just a touch off center. The remaining four lights were used to light and create shadow in the background. Two of the lights were "hot" lights being used for some video taping. The other two were strobe heads that we placed. Both had honeycomb grids on them to focus the light where we wanted it to go.
There was on hot and one strobe on each side of Dora in the background.

It took us quite a while to get everything positioned correctly and create the look I was going for. That involved moving the lights we were setting up as well as relocating the lights that were used as props in the background to create shadows, control hot spots and create a visually pleasing arrangement in the background.

Photobucket

3 comments:

Doug Haass said...

A little different take from what most people show. For learning purposes I like seeing how the shot was arranged, and still be able to separate your subject from the gear. I think you accomplished what you were trying to do.

Also, congratulations on your 8th anniversary.

kitobaphoto said...

Brian,
I remember watching you shoot these photos, but I really don't remember the light being so dramatic. Great job as always. If I remember correctly, this was done with the 70-200 2.8??? What was your f-stop here, I really like the blurred bg.
Happy Anniversary,
Todd Badeaux

Brian Bastinelli said...

Hey Todd-

I did shoot this with the 70-200 2.8 at 120mm.

The ISO was 200 and the exposure was 1/250th at f 3.3.

That was what created the blur but there is another step that adds a little bit too.

When I sharpen the image for output I always do it on a duplicate layer. Then I apply a layer mask and paint with black the areas that I want to be not quite as sharp. It doesn't always add a lot extra and other times it does.