Take Some Time For You and Yours...

2008-08-12


Hi everyone-

Sometimes life deals you cards that you really didn't expect. When that happens sometimes it really knocks the wind out or your sails or derails you for a while.

Well that should be the theme for this week in my life. I'm not trying to be melodramatic or oh woes me. But I a few things took place this week.

So Saturday night I was working and we had a good job out on the Hill. unfortunately I had an unexpected meeting with a collapsing ceiling. It was comparatively minor but I ended up at the hospital for a while with a concussion. Later Saturday night when I got home my wrist which had been sore since the fire swelled up a good bit and become quite uncomfortable.

So yesterday I had a follow up with my doctor. She sent me to the hospital once again for some additional x-rays on the wrist. This is the point where my day went seriously off track.

I was sitting in the imaging department's waiting room doing just that. A couple in their late 60's, early 70's came in and sat down next to me. She began to do some knitting while he provided his paperwork to the woman at the counter. He sat down, we said hi and then went back to waiting.

Several minutes later he was called back for his test. His wife continued her knitting. About 5 minutes later the hospitals alerting system activated for a cardiac arrest in the CAT Scan area. At first I didn't make any connection but when the patient representative arrived in the waiting room it instantly clicked.

They asked for Mrs. so and so. She looked up and they introduced themselves. I knew what was coming and there was a terrible pit in my stomach. They explained that her husband had been moved to the ER and they needed to head down there.

Here was a woman who came to the hospital with her husband, I'm sure of many years, for a simple test. She waited patiently for him to return, I am sure certain he would. She knitted and glanced at the Weather Channel that was on the TV in the corner.

She had no clue what the alert had meant or that her husband was currently fighting for his life, if he had any left at all. I felt terrible for this woman her world was about to be turned upside down.

I know that this is something that I have seen time and time again but I wasn't ready for it today. I hadn't been told i was going to a medical emergency. I wasn't on a call where anything could happen. I was sitting in a waiting room exchanging pleasantries with someone who would be gone in just a few minutes.

It really hit me. I just felt really bad for this woman. She really had no idea what she was going to be greeted with when she got to the ER. I could not image the blow to the stomach it would be to be told what they were about to tell her.

Take a few minutes to love your family a little longer. Take a second to let them know you love them. Don't let that little fight or disagreement go on and on. You really don't know when you will lose someone close to you. It could happen at any time on any day. There is really know way to be prepared for this but if you take that little extra time everyone will always know how you feel.

The image today was shot at the rodeo in Choteau, MT. The bull riders were relaxing and talking shop before their rides. It was shot with a Lensbaby 2.0.

3 comments:

J. L. T. said...

hello,
after holidays i arrived at your side and read this little tragic story! thanx for it and your advice to "take some time for you and yours". it´s a lovely impression to start the day. sunny greetings from germany

Jan Klier said...

Incredible story Brian. We do sometimes have to be reminded just how fragile life is.

I had this experience earlier this year when my wife had to go into surgery for a broken wrist. Fairly routine surgery, but required full anastetia since they had to insert a metal plate. I still see the picture in my mind of the nurse walking with my wife down the hall way to the OR. You can tell yourself 100 times in rational ways that based on statistics, this should be a total non-issue. But then your emotional side always goes after the statistical 1% what-if scenarios.

Many people do that every day when flying on airplanes. Statistically one of the safest mode of transportaiton, yet alos the most feared one.

We all should live our lifes as if it is your last day (in terms of being at peace with yourself and your loved ones), and at the same time live it it like your invulnerable in terms of being able to take risks and not give into fears, or our lifes will be boring and we will never experience life in its full potential. It's a tough challenge that takes constant work though.

Jan

Debra Trean said...

very powerful story and one that is so true. I also love the shot of the boot.... another thing we both shoot.